Sports and Clubs are an important part of life at Kings Heath.
We have fun and varied PE and Games lessons where we develop our skills in Gymnastics, Dance, Athletics, Games and Outdoor Adventurous Activities.
We have strong links with a number of schools within the Northampton Town Community and our local DRET Cluster of schools.
Every child receives 2 hours of PE lessons per week, plus lunch time activities and the opportunity to participate in our after school sports clubs. Our PE lessons and after school sports clubs offers the children a broad experience of many different sports.
Whatever your interest, whatever your ability, everyone has the opportunity to participate and to succeed in sport at Kings Heath!
Through PE and school sport, children can develop values of:
- Belief – Developing self-belief to help improve sporting success and have a ‘can-do’ attitude in all physical activities undertaken
- Courage – challenging themselves physically and emotionally to try new activities and pushing themselves to achieve and develop new skills
- Respect – Encouraging positive behaviours through playing fair, following rules and admiring peers/team mates for their abilities, qualities or achievements
- Responsibility – Experiencing healthy competition and learning to cope with life’s successes and defeats
- Friendship – Creating friendships through sharing ideas with others, listening and responding in order to participate in physical activities
- Teamwork – Working together with other children to reach a common goal
During PE lessons, children develop core skills to enable them to become well-rounded sportsmen and sportswomen and we incorporate the School Games values of Respect, Honesty, Teamwork, Passion, Determination and Self-Belief.
A programme of swimming is planned each year for pupils in Y3 and Y4 and this is arranged through the Local Authority and we aim for everyone leaving school at the end of Year 6 to be able to swim at least 25m.
All children have the opportunity to participate in a range of sporting tournaments and sports festivals in school. We participate annually in the DRET Primary Cup and Summer Cup and this is a fantastic opportunity to showcase their sporting talents. Local sports coaches to international GB Team athletes have visited our school, shared their sporting history and experiences with the children and engaged in teaching them their individual sport.
We hold inter-house sports competitions and have a Sports Day where we can work as part of our house team. We have some excellent sports people who help us enjoy continued success!
Events throughout the year promote inclusion, team-building skills, a sense of achievement and self-belief and we celebrate keeping active as a whole school.
We do have a code of dress for PE and are grateful for your full support in ensuring that lessons can be enjoyed by smart and safely dressed pupils having the correct footwear.